For this week’s Switch Kickstarter Project of the Week, we will be looking at Garrick Campsey’s Lazr. The game is slated to release approximately in November 2020 on PC, Mac, Linux, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. Here’s the overview:
LAZR is a skill-based, physics-enhanced cyberpunk platformer whose gameplay is emphasized sharply by its dynamic cloth simulations. The setting draws inspiration from such sources as Akira, Judge Dredd, Ghost in the Shell, and Bladerunner. You play as LAZR, a fusion-powered killer android, who finds themselves in a new, dangerous future metropolis called Alpha City One.
LAZR’s original concept came from a challenge posed by a fellow programmer to add verlet (dynamic motion simulation) cloth simulations into a platformer. A prototype was built, and it turned out to be so much fun, that a decision was made to turn it into a larger demo. A video recording of the demo went viral on Twitter, and a decision was made to make LAZR into a full fledged game. However, in order to achieve this goal, LAZR needs your support!
- Unique, one of a kind Platforming Physics – cloth, fire, and weather effects (like rain and snow)
- Multiple City Districts, each with their own set of levels (hundreds of levels to play)
- Customize your hero – different shell modifications allow the player to tailor the hero’s abilities as they see fit – from fully auto laser fire, to more acrobatic shells.
- Choices that deeply affect the protagonist’s journey and the city around them, with multiple endings
- Highly polished and responsive input, timed levels designed for speed running
- Vibrant neon retro pixel art + animations, combined with pre-rendered 3d, describe a futuristic dystopia where both AI and humans live in amid a dangerous balance.
- Vivid, futuristic soundtrack composed by ///Underwires (William Kingston Davies) and Garrick Campsey
- English, French, Chinese, Japanese language selections available as default
- Estimated 6-9 hours of gameplay
- Coming all platforms, including PS4, Vita, Switch, Xbox One, and PC/Mac/Linux!
With its Mega Man inspired gameplay, Lazr looks to impress not only in its captivating artwork but also its tight controls. Its smooth gameplay is a must for a game that does utterly captivating cloth and ladder physics. 2D platformers are a dime a dozen where it takes a lot to stand out amongst the crowd, but Lazr looks to be one that you won’t want to miss out on.
Lazr requires US$10,000 and is currently sitting at US$1,441 after 54 backers with 29 days remaining. If you’d like to support the development of this game and some hardworking developers in their time of need, click the link below to visit the Kickstarter page.
Thank you to our $5 and up Patreon Backers for their ongoing support:
- Andrew Caluzzi (Inca Studios / Camped Out!)
- Belinda Cubitt