For this week’s Switch Kickstarter Project of the Week, we will be looking at Lowpoly Interactive’s Viking Vengeance. The game is slated to release in July 2020 on PC, Mac and Linux and the developers have expressed keen interest in bringing the game to Nintendo Switch. Here’s the overview:
Inspired by Norse Mythology the game takes place in an Alternate History with many twists and new mechanics within a Lowpoly Cartoonish World.
Viking Vengeance has a rich world and captivating story that is woven into every aspect of the game. Each new stage will reveal an intriguing missing part of the puzzle.
It all began as a trembling flame that turned into a full blown conflict between the two faiths.Seeing no other way to stop the unnecessary bloodshed, the Templars acted as ambassadors and signed a peace treaty with the vikings.
Years passed and the Dark Ages began bringing hunger, famine, plague and violence. The common people believed that the peace treaty with the heathens unleashed God’s Wrath.They started protests throughout the kingdoms and soon enough the Templars were arrested and the peace treaty voided. One Templar Knight managed to escape.
The last Templar went on a quest to find the Holy Grail. His only wish was to put an end to the Dark Ages and heal the world. Through his perseverance he managed to find the Holy Grail, put an end to the peace treaty and be proclaimed Emperor by the people.Through this new position and with the aid of the Holy Grail, he restored the Templars’ Order, this time as a military force with the purpose of eradicating all the heathens and avoiding a new Dark Age.
Witnessing the unnecessary bloodshed of innocent people, a Sergeant has a change of heart and turns his back on his fellow Crusaders during his Teuton Knight Initiation process.
Trying to reconnect with your people, from whom you were taken as a child, and to put an end to the Templar oppression, you will rediscover your original Gods and you will be harnessing their powers. You will find out the legend of an ancient weapon that could change everything.
Be advised your actions may cause unexpected repercussions.
The classes’ identity is reflected in class-specific gear and visuals, special skills and specific weapons traits. From the very first glance you’ll be able to identify the traits of your weapon of choice. Each class has a well defined theme expressed in both aesthetics and play style, while still allowing a good amount of customization.
Each character can be constructed using an unique mix of abilities, gear, skills and stats to be a reflection of the player. Each player will have the opportunity to build their character the way they see fit. We encourage thinking outside the box and promote experimentation.
We will provide you with the tools necessary to make a character truly yours.
- 3 unique classes of Vikings to choose from with more coming up.
- Unique level up system with a variety of skills, talents and items.
- Worship a God of your choosing to gain their aid in battle or even become their avatar for a limited period of time.
- Collect blood and use it for rituals at the Idol Statues to boost your devotion to the Gods and enhance your abilities.
- Visit the blacksmith to improve your gear or buy new items.
- 2 different Afterlife paths to choose from when you die, each with its own advantages and disadvantage.
- An unique story mode that will challenge your imagination.
- Execute your enemies to restore your health or gain extra blood that can be used in the revival process.
- Collect unique rune stones to enhance the Idol Statues and receive more God Skills.
- Use the environment and game physics in your favor, to gain the upper hand in combat.
- Pray to your Norse God and help the Vikings push back the Templars.
As one who takes a personal interest in Norse mythology, this week’s choice was as clear Tyr’s sky. But it’s wasn’t just that; Viking Vengeance looks to capture the atmosphere of ancient Scandinavia on top of an easily digestible low-poly art style with colourful aesthetics that makes the world come to life. Lowpoly Interactive has drawn upon the customs and rituals as inspiration to make a seemingly authentic Viking experience, mixing culture and mythology into a topdown Diablo-esque action game. This game is definitely one to keep your (Odin’s) eye on.
Viking Vengeance requires €20,000 and is currently sitting at €3,037 after 46 backers with 27 days remaining. So if you’d like to support the development of this game and secure yourself a copy, click the link below.
Thank you to our $5 and up Patreon Backers for their ongoing support:
- Andrew Caluzzi (Inca Studios / Camped Out!)
- Belinda Cubitt