For this week’s Switch Kickstarter Project of the Week, we will be looking at Roach Game’s Kingdoms of the Dump. The game is slated to release in October 2022 on PC, Mac & Linux (with Nintendo Switch as a stretch goal). Here’s the rundown:
Kingdoms of the Dump is a game about a world of trash created by two real-life janitors. While designed to evoke the 90’s JRPG flavor, we have incorporated adventure and platforming inspirations as well as modern design innovations to the genre.
The King of Garbagia has been trashpicked! Disgraced squire Dustin Binsley is blamed for the kidnapping and must embark on a mission to clear his name. Cross the Lands of Fill, uncover hidden secrets in the trash, and expose the evil organization trying to destroy the Kingdoms of the Dump!
- A narrative based game with a quick moving story and interesting world
- Jumping, climbing and other on-field skills to add to exploration and navigation
- No random encounters
- Turn based combat with a tileboard grid encouraging placement and movement
- Timed hits! (Press a key during the peak of attack animation for a critical strike)
- Quickly toggle between main characters to make use of their field moves
- A large Mode-7 inspired World Map. (Travel by land, sea, and air)
- SNES-inspired visual aesthetic with detailed environments and expressive sprites.
Kingdoms of the Dump is close to reaching its initial target, requiring $60,000USD and is currently sitting at $42,679USD after 1,007 backers with 23 days remaining. The Nintendo Switch port stretch goal is at $80,000USD, which isn’t far away considering the project’s progress so far.