How to Get a Perfect Evaluation
The open-ended nature of Stardew Valley means you’re free to continue bumbling around your farm indefinitely if you’re the kind of person who’s happy to go at their own pace and set their own goals. However, some of us prefer tangible feedback on our progress to assess how our achievements stack up. Luckily, Stardew Valley provides this opportunity through an in-game event.
In the top-left corner of the farm, there is a shrine dedicated to Grandpa with a note that asks players to wait for his return at the beginning of the third year. A bit ominous, perhaps, but in actuality this note refers to the evaluation event that takes place on the first day of spring, year 3.
When you exit on house on this day, a short cinematic will play and the candles surrounding the shrine will become lit. The number of lit candles is determined by your achievements throughout the first two years. Light all the candles and you’ll get a neat reward. But how can you be sure you’ve met all the requirements? This guide details all the steps you’ll need to take to get that perfect evaluation.
A point system is used to determine how many candles light up at the beginning of the third year. The breakdown of points looks like this:
- 0-3 points – 1 candle
- 4-7 points – 2 candles
- 8-11 points – 3 candles
- 12-21 points – 4 candles
Points are obtained by meeting the following milestones:
- 50,000g – 1 point
- 100,000g – 2 points
- 200,000g – 3 points
- 300,000g – 4 points
- 500,000g – 5 points
- 1,000,000g – 7 points
- Total of 30 levels – 1 point
- Total of 50 levels – 2 points
- Have a friendship level of at least 8 hearts with 5 villagers – 1 point
- Have a relationship of at least 8 hearts with 10 villagers – 2 points
- Complete the museum collection – 1 point
- Catch every fish – 1 point
- Ship every item – 1 point
- Get married and fully upgrade your house – 1 point
- Have a friendship of at least 4 hearts with your pet – 1 point
- Obtain the skull key – 1 point
- Obtain the rusty key – 1 point
- Complete the community centre – 1 point
- Watch the community centre completion ceremony – 2 points
If you obtain a score of 12 or more, you can interact with the shrine to receive the Statue of Perfection as a reward. In addition, you’ll get a nice little cutscene with grandpa which is sure to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.
Didn’t get as many candles as you were aiming for? It’s not the end of the world. Keep chipping away at it, and when you’re ready you can offer a diamond to Grandpa’s shrine and get another evaluation on the next day.